10 Reasons To Color Your Hair
There is no excuse for gray hair....unless you are a silver fox like the 82 year old super stunner Carmen Dell' Orefice.
10 Reasons to color your hair...and why you should leave it to the pro's
I can't imagine not coloring my hair. Think about it...your hair is your best accessory. You wear it everyday! So for the life of me I don't understand why some people don't want to invest in an amazing hairstylist. I've been a hairstylist for over 11 years and have heard it all.
From the, "I don't have time" to the "I can't afford it". I know all about being busy. I am a new mom to the most amazing 4 month old and not only do I work behind the chair but I own the salon that I work in;) I also do a ton of photoshoots, write, and somewhere in there try to find time for my husband and myself. Phew...I get it...but I absolutely make time to get my hair and nails done.
This a necessity to me.
First off, you probably wouldn't want me to do your hair if I looked a hot mess and poorly manicured hands and feet are just a pet peeve of mine. As far as the cost of getting your hair done, this is what I tell my amazing clients. I only charge $50 for a haircut (which includes the shampoo & style) and $75 for a full highlight. That's $125...if you add a tip on there, let's say 20%...that's $24 for a total of $149. Normally my clients get their hair done every 4-6 weeks. So if you plan on spending $149 every 35 days (5 weeks) that works out to be $4.25 a day. $4.25 a day! That's less than a Venti Latte from Starbucks.
I don't know about you but I know that I waste that much money, easily, everyday on things that don't matter.
Doing something for yourself, like getting your hair done, should be a priority. Not only is it the accessory that you don't take off but it will make you feel like a superstar. What I hope you have taken away from my rambling is that you are worth $4.25 a day (for 35 days) for a two hour appointment that can truly boost your confidence.
Here are a few other things you need to know about hair color:
1. If you have dull, lifeless hair having it professionally colored can give you the luster and body you've always wanted.
2. For those of you ladies that have fine hair I advise getting some highlights. This will roughen up the cuticle and make your hair feel thicker.
3. Adding several colors into your hair will give it dimension. Meaning when you look at it it won't appear to be a "flat" color.
4. Don't be afraid to experiment. If you don't like those buttery, blonde highlights ask your stylist to make them a little darker next time. Or if you aren't feeling like getting the same boring brown ask your stylist to make you a fiery red head. The possibilities are endless :)
5. Having your hair colored can make you look younger. Hello? Who doesn't want to look younger. Let's face it, gray hair on us women ages us. Men with gray hair look "distinguished". Men really do have it easier in life ;)
6. Before getting your hair colored make sure your stylist has a thorough consultation with you. You need to discuss maintenance, your lifestyle, cost, expectations, etc. This will ensure that you are both on the same page.
7. Be realistic with your own expectations. Having your hair professionally colored can enhance the beauty that you already have. Bringing in a photo of Blake Lively's hair does not mean that you will look like her when we are done...we can only do so much ;)
8. Remember, leave coloring your hair to "A professional hairstylist". I can almost guarantee that your hair will not look like the picture on that box of Loreal Preference. So beware, it's a trap.
9. Make the time...you deserve it!
10. Spend the money...you're worth it!
I hope all of you beautiful women, and men, take this advice. Find yourself an amazing hairstylist and allow yourself to be beautified for $4.25 a day;)
DJ is a hairstylist/makeup artist who has been in love with playing dress up since she was 6. She has been a professional for over 11 years. DJ and her brilliant husband have owned Enzo’s Salon & Spa, located in Cleveland, Ohio for over 9 years. She is a certified Socap hair extension expert. She also specializes in cutting and coloring. Her goal is to educate and inspire not only her clients but fellow stylists. That is why she is a strong believer in continuing education…”You can never be too knowledgeable in this industry.” In addition to working behind the chair, DJ has an obsession with editorial styling for photo shoots. Her work has been featured in many industry magazines such as Modern Salon, Launchpad, American Salon, Estetica, Ohio Stylist and more. She loves having fundraisers and doing charity work to help improve other peoples lives. She is also an avid animal lover and believes that you get what you give. That’s why you should give 100%...